Mayurasana is also known as the Peacock Pose. It counts as an advanced asana. It is very easy to fall forward in the final position and crush the nose on the floor. So be careful and, if necessary, place a small cushion on the floor under the face.
Today we discuss with you the step-by-step asana instructions:
- Kneel on the floor
- Place the feet together and separate the knees
- Lean forward and place both palms between the knees on the floor with the fingers pointing towards the feet
- Bring the elbows and forearms together
- Lean further forward and rest the abdomen on the elbows and the chest on the upper arms
- Stretch the legs backward so they are straight together
- Tense the muscles of your body and slowly elevate the trunk and legs so that they are horizontal to the floor
- Hold the head upward
- Your whole body should now be balanced only on the palms of the hands
Benefits of Mayurasana:
- stimulates the metabolic processes which increase secretions from different glands
- stimulates the elimination of toxins from the blood
- removes skin conditions (boils & acne)
- all digestive organs are massaged
- useful in managing flatulence and constipation
- helps to control diabetes
- brings all doshas (pitta, vata, kapha) into Balance and harmony
Mayurasana should not be practised by People with high blood pressure any heart ailment, hernia, peptic or duodenal ulcer. This pose should not be attempted if there is any sign of illness or physical weakness.
To be sure that you practise an asana correctly, we recommend to participate in our Yoga Teacher Training Program.